Often people forget to drink water while exercising – even those avid gym-goers. You’re sweating, exerting tons of energy at the gym and an hour passes without even a sip. This is one of the leading causes of kidney stones. In the past 40 years, the amount of people with kidney stones has nearly doubled. One of the easiest ways to prevent kidney stones is to drink water while exercising.
What most people don’t realize is we lose several cups of water everyday through breathing, urination, and exercise. With the loss of water from these daily activities, it is important to replenish your body with water.
If you experiencing any of the following symptoms, you likely have limited water intake:
- Dry skin
- Nose bleeds
- Urinary tract infections
- Constant sneezing
- Sinus pressure
- Kidney stones
To be proactive in preventing the above symptoms, it is important to drink water, especially when you exercise. To help stay on top of consuming water while working out, make sure you have the best water bottles for the gym. Below are five benefits of drinking water while exercising:
- Drinking water with lemon has almost become a trend – however, there are benefits to adding lemon to your water. Due to a lemons high concentration of citrate, this naturally inhibits kidney stone formation. A second option is drinking lemonade.
- You know that first sip of ice cold water? That actually gives you a metabolism boost. When your body works out and becomes warm, the cold water will speed up your metabolism and burn extra calories.
- Drinking water helps your heart. Your heart works hard to pump blood throughout your body, and drinking water helps your heart so it does not have to work as hard.
- When you are not drinking enough water, your skin will form wrinkles. Water will improve your skin and flush out impurities.
- Water helps with digestion. When you are dehydrated, your body will absorb water, leaving your colon dry.
When you are knowledgeable on the benefits of drinking water, you make it more of a priority. Moral of the story is: drink water while exercising.